Tuesday 3 November 2009

My stomach hurts and I should never patronise another buffet...

We went to try out a newish Chinese buffet restaurant in Lincoln today. Newish because it's a year and half old but we've not went there yet despite numerous "We should go there one day."

That one day is today. The restaurant is called Yo Yo in Beijing and they market themselves as a different kind of Chinese buffet where food is healthier. They (supposedly) use less oil and salt and do not use any MSG at all in their food. They also have gimmicky presentations like Kung Fu Tea Pouring and Flying Noodles and... I don't know what else, but you get the idea. Very Chinese-y ideas, actually, because who in the world would say no if you asked them if they want to go and witness a Kung Fu Tea Pouring? :P

There weren't any of these presentations today though - just your regular buffet. Boy and I deliberated over the drinks menu for a good five to ten minutes before finally agreeing to have a 60oz fishbowl Lily Pad XL cocktail to share because it's cheaper than having separate drinks. We've never had that cocktail before, but it sounded quite fruity and refreshing with pineapple and coconut and stuff.

Now, I don't work with Imperial calculations so I don't actually know how much 60oz is until it got here. And when it got here...

Lily Pad XL - it was definitely XL!

Couldn't resist a photo op with it even though I look a mess. And yes, that's my piled up plate next to it because I'm a glutton!

The drink itself was quite nice, but the strong coconut flavour became quite sickly after a while. Not sure I'm go for it again, to be honest, since I struggled to finish it and Boy finished the rest whilst I went and raided the dessert table. More on that later though.

I loved the pork stew they had there, so yummy and tender! Unfortunately also very fatty... shouldn't have had so much of it, because I feel so sick now. The beef in black pepper sauce can't hold a candle to the takeaway from Hay-on-Wye (so far my favourite beef in black pepper sauce!), but there are some really nice selections there, around 1/3 of their menu which I've not seen in other Chinese buffets before. Like herbal eggs and the pork stew and steamed dumplings.

The dessert section was relatively small in comparison and is pretty much like every other Chinese buffets I've been to - a chocolate fondue fountain with some candies and marshmallows and an ice cream machine. And some fruits and jelly and cream tarts on the side.

Simple pleasures.

I also had three cubes of jelly after that because I cannot resist a good, cold, refreshing jelly. *sigh* But on the bright side of things, the jelly is probably the least calorific thing I ate today, so that hasn't made my binging any worse than it had been thus far!

My N95's camera is behaving a bit odd today at the restaurant... I'm not sure if it's just the lighting in the restaurant or what, but everything just looked so hazed over and washed out. Ugh.

2 comments:

leelian said...

Haha I think that is about the size Margaritha is served here at Chilli's!!

pei said...

I've never been to Chilli's. :( I'm so suaku!