Saturday 3 December 2011

Review: A Discovery of Witches


A Discovery of Witches
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



The book started out really slow for me and didn't really draw me in until around 40% into the book. Up until then, I was wondering what the fuss was all about.

I really didn't want to compare this book to Twilight, but I can't help it when throughout the whole reading of the book, Twilight keeps flashing through my brain. It's better than Twilight, but that's not saying much since I didn't like Twilight.

I love how this book has explored more into the history and lore and I wish there is a bit more of that. But again, there's too much similarities to Twilight on the romance department that I had to make myself keep reading and not lose faith (or upchuck my dinner). It's a good thing that the main character Diana, whilst a bit stupid at times, is not as depressing to read about as Bella. And Matthew is very much more interesting than Edward. The characters in A Discovery of Witches is better drawn out than Twilight, the plot is better, however being better than a terrible book doesn't make it great.

What I cannot stand though is how Diana, despite all her "I can protect myself" or "I can do it myself" so-called feminism ended up as a damsel-in-distress anyway 80% of the book, who turns into a shivery mess when her vampire boyfriend/husband is not about. I feel as though I've been missold a strong character. The romance is predictable from the start and didn't get anymore interesting at the book went on.

I might be suffering from Twilight PTSD and in need to join a help group before I read another vampire novel, but regrettably I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. Two stars because I really did like the history and lore bits.

I may read the second book (as I understand this is part of a trilogy) if it's told from Matthew's perspective, because it would be interesting to see what he feels revisiting an era he has lived through before and what he will do differently compared to the younger Matthew.



View all my reviews

No comments: